"Thank You" is such a beautiful set of words, and I truly love Thanksgiving and the idea behind it. It is an American holiday, but it's really such a universal concept. As cliche as it may be, I want to take a moment to genuinely and fully show my most sincere gratitude towards the people, things and situations I am thankful for. So here goes, I am very thankful for:
|This is my family on New Years of '94, I'm the one with the crazy face.
- First and foremost my family. I am so very lucky to have the most amazing parents and siblings, whom I love so very much and without whom I couldn't be where I am today. I am thankful for never having to doubt that they will stand by my side always, even when I go off to do crazy art things in random places and act all crazy.
- I am thankful for my long-time and life friendships, for those who have stuck around for years and years and never given up on me. For those who have seen me at my worst and pushed me back up, and celebrated my successes. Thanks for sticking around.
- I am thankful for my new friends, particularly the ones I have made here in Seattle. They don't know it, but this transition is so paramount and significant in my life, and having a supportive and welcoming group of friends has been vital in getting my life back together.
- I am thankful for those who have loved me, and those I have loved. I never forget.
- I am thankful for all my students this summer for teaching me more than they think they did.
- I am thankful for being lucky enough to have witnessed social change, for all the people around our country who are actively taking a stand to fight for equality and gay rights. I am thankful for every person out there (parents, teachers, big brothers and sisters, politicians, leaders) who are inspiring and encouraging our youth to treat each other with respect. I am thankful for those who have been standing up for themselves and particularly thankful for those standing up for others. I am thankful for those risking their jobs, their reputations and sometimes their lives to defend the rights of queer youth and adults across our country so that one day I can get married, have children and teach them how to treat others with respect as well.
- I am thankful for my job. I have a job, period, and one that I love. I am so very lucky for that.
- I am thankful for those who have taken the time to teach me, mentor me and challenge me to be better.
- I am thankful to be alive and healthy.
- I am thankful to have discovered photography, and for all it has allowed me to share with others and with myself.
I could go on, but I think this will do for now.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. What are you thankful for?